New Roads & Street Works Act

NRSWA Street works card holders are required to take a mandatory NRSWA re-assessment every 5 years.

Be-aware: Street works inspectors can ask you to leave a site, if your card has expired.

Before you sit for re-assessment

This is very important

Make sure your card has not expired more than two month past its expiry date.

It is the responsibility of the candidate to allow sufficient time.

The aim of this course is to reassess candidates on their Street Works units, to enable them to re-register with Street Works Qualification Register.

There are 2 cards Operative & Supervisor

Units of competence for trained operatives

  • Location and avoidance of underground appartus
  • Signing, Lighting, and Guarding
  • Excavation in the road/highway
  • Reinstatement and compaction of backfill materials
  • Reinstatement of sub-base and road-base in non-bituminous materials
  • Reinstatement of cold-lay bituminous materials
  • Reinstatement of hot-lay bituminous materials
  • Reinstatement of concrete slabs
  • Reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways

Units of competence for trained supervisors

  • Location and avoidance of underground apparatus
  • Monitoring signing, lighting and guarding
  • Monitoring excavation in the road/highway
  • Monitoring reinstatement and compaction of backfill materials
  • Monitoring reinstatement of sub-base and road-base in non-bituminous materials
  • Monitoring reinstatement of bituminous materials
  • Monitoring reinstatement of concrete slabs
  • Monitoring reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways

Attain is accredited to deliver reassessment of every unit in the Street Works reassessment scheme. Candidates be given instruction before they sit reassessment papers for each unit specified of their NRSWA card.

As of 6 April 2011, a reassessment process has been introduced. Anyone wishing to renew their Street Works card must provide ’Reassessed’ certificates to show that they have completed the reassessment process for any qualifications that they wish to re-register. Alternatively, they may be assessed in full against the main scheme requirements and issued with new Street Works certificates.

After you have sat your re-assessment

We will forward your results to CABWI in London the awarding body for New Road & Street Works the day after you have sat your re-assessment. On the return of certification to us we can then forward you re-assessment pass certificate results to SWQR in Glasgow the issuing authority, who will validate and issue a new card.

This can take up to 28 days (with no guarantees)


Please Note:

In order to re-apply for your street works you must do your re-assessment 3 months prior to, or three months after, your current card expires. If you do not do this, you must undergo the entire NRSWA training again—which costs significantly more to take.